Updated: Nov 29, 2019
HERE ARE A FEW TIPS FOR SEWING WITH SWEATER KNITS:
- wash your fabric first - softens it up
- look at how it behaves on the edges and test the stretch
- if you don’t have a serger be prepared to zigzag your seams and edges based on the design
- NO IRONING AT ALL
- use a strip of stretch tape or bias tape on the shoulder seams
- I used straight stitching on the side seams (non stretch areas)
- I used a zigzag stitch on the curved sleeve seams (stretch areas)
- serge all the inside seams - gives it stabilization while being worn and stretched
- serge and turn your bottom hem and handstitch or for lighter knits you can use a twin needle.
- this dress: I didnt want bulky seams so I hand-stitched the neckline by using the selvage edge as the neckband— I also handstitched the pocket onto the front.
I didn’t hem the sleeve or bottom So I lightly fray checked and that’s all - just this knit
- I fold this dress in half over a pants hanger - or put in a drawer
- turn the hems and straight stitch
- zigzag stitch sleeve seams
- NO IRONING
- serge all inside seams
- let hang on dress form to set
MY THING ABOUT NEEDLES:
I use Microtex needles, Universal needles, Ballpoint or Jersey needles for knits, Denim and Leather needles, and whatever needle I need to have in my toolbox. I will test each project and see what my machine and the fabric wants - when it tells me that, I use that needle. For this dress I used a Microtex needle and handstitching.